American University Scholarships: Good news for international students! American University is introducing the Emerging Global Leaders Scholarships, which are fully funded for international students. The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship works to expand educational access and opportunities while also fostering more international diversity.
The American University Scholarships program aims to achieve, inspire, and serve with vision by bringing together the best of what AU has to offer in the areas of academic achievement, leadership development, and global involvement. The AU EGL is committed to fostering constructive civic and social change, and upon their return, participants will work to improve under-resourced and underserved communities in their home nation. Please accept our invitation to meet some of the most outstanding current AU Emerging Global Leader Scholars as well as recent graduates of the American University Scholarship program.
One overseas student who must have a non-immigrant visa in order to study in the United States (ideally an F-1 or J-1 student visa) is eligible for the American University Scholarships. The American University Scholarship pays for all billable expenses at AU, including full tuition, lodging, and board. The American University Scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as necessary health insurance, books, airline tickets, taxes, or any other miscellaneous expenses (about $4,000 per year).
The American University Scholarships can be renewed for up to four years of undergraduate study if the recipient maintains a level of academic achievement that is considered satisfactory. Students who are interested in any of the majors offered by AU are eligible to apply.
Note: There is only room for one student on the American University Scholarships for the Fall 2024 semester. If you do not become the winner of the AU EGL for the year 2024 but still choose to continue the application process, you can be eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, in addition to the original $4,000 USD that you provided, you will be required to produce evidence that you have access to additional funds. The amount of US$78,296 has been estimated to be needed for the academic year 2024-2025.
Interesting Facts About American University (AU)
Washington, D.C.’s American University is a private, federally recognized research university. Its primary campus is on Ward Circle in Northwest D.C.’s Spring Valley area. Methodist bishop John Fletcher Hurst urged Congress to establish the AU in 1893 to encourage civic service, internationalism, and pragmatic idealism. AU started in 1914 and enrolled its first undergraduates in 1925. Religious affiliation isn’t a requirement for admittance, despite being linked with the United Methodist Church.
American University comprises eight schools and colleges: the School of International Service, College of Arts and Sciences, Kogod School of Business, School of Communication, School of Professional and Extended Studies, School of Public Affairs, and School of Education (WCL).
It offers 71 bachelor’s, 87 master’s, 10 PhD, and JD, LLM, and SJD programs. Around a quarter of AU’s 13,000 students are foreign, representing all 50 U.S. states and 141 countries. “R2: Doctoral Universities—High Research Activity”.
American University Scholarships Highlights
- University Name: American University (AU)
- Degree: Undergraduate
- Nationality: All are eligible
- Duration: 4 Years
- Deadline: December 15, 2023, or by January 15, 2024 at the latest.
- Award country: USA.
Courses and Duration
We may be apart, but we are Eagles. We are resilient. We are determined. We are stepping up and helping out. We are in this together. And we are up to the challenge. With eight schools and over 170 programs, including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees,
These are the schools available at American universities. The American University scholarship is for global leaders who face hardship in their lives but don’t have enough finance to study abroad.
American University Scholarships Benefits
The American University Scholarship covers all AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board). Who will need a visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States?
The American University Scholarship does not cover other expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, and miscellaneous expenses.
Eligibility for American University Scholarships
- You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, U.S. pending permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated secondary school earlier than 2022.
AU EGLS applicants must apply for regular decisions for fall 2024 (August). Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
Preference will be given to:
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges, as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating classes) for 9th–12th grades
- demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English
- 65 minimum PTE
- 125+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 115 or above)
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. Each sub-score must be 169 or higher.
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary or high school and are graduating by June 2024
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A-levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2024.
Very Important: The American University Scholarship Selection Process is highly competitive. Before anyone else, those AU EGLS applicants who apply and send in their international admissions documents (including proof of English skills and a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000) by December 15, 2023, will be given priority and will be considered.
How To Apply For AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship?
- Complete the AU EGLS application on the Future Eagle Portal.
- Submit a bank letter confirming a minimum of U.S.$4,000. This can be uploaded via your Future Eagle Portal or sent by fax to +1-202-885-1025. Examples of bank letters
- Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English, PTE, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score results by December 15, 2023, at the latest. Please have official English proficiency score reports sent directly by the testing agency to American University, Undergraduate Admissions, Washington, District of Columbia. Please note: Students cannot submit their own results.
- Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist, by the American University Scholarship priority deadline of December 15, 2023, or by January 15, 2024 at the latest. Please note that the preliminary American University Scholarship application packet must include a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$78,296). Students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- If you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a letter from your EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming your candidacy. You may request for the letter to be sent to email@example.com as a PDF.
- If you are not selected as one of the finalists, you may still be considered for admission to American University, Washington, DC, and eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, to continue the application process, you will need to submit proof of funds totaling U.S.$78,296 (estimated costs for the first year of study).
Zoom interviews and/or additional essay submissions will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org