Applications are being accepted by Empa for PhD positions in cementitious construction materials in Switzerland for the academic year 2022–2023.
International students who are pursuing a PhD at the Empa are eligible to apply for the award. PhD As key goals are to investigate the hydration mechanism using thermodynamic modelling and tests, as well as to examine the mechanical characteristics, volume changes, and durability of various mortar and concrete mixes based on these binders.
Applied materials sciences and technology are the focus of the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, a multidisciplinary research centre. It was founded in 1880 and focused on traditional materials testing. It is an organisation of the Swiss federation and a member of the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology Domain.
Additionally, Empa promotes teaching at universities and universities of applied sciences (UAS), supports the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology in Zurich and Lausanne, and, through the Empa-Akademie, conducts scientific conferences and advanced training programmes.
The Empa is a good place to learn, but why?
Empa seeks to create solutions for the energy, environment, transportation, health, and safety issues that now plague society and business. They have a basic but audacious and ambitious concept. It serves as a type of lighthouse that points out where they should be going and what we should be aiming at. It serves as the benchmark for the majority, if not all, of their endeavors.
More About The Empa
An interdisciplinary Swiss research centre for applied materials sciences and technology is the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology. It is a Swiss federation institution and a component of the Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology Domain. Since its founding in 1880, it has mostly focused on traditional materials testing. It has evolved into a cutting-edge research and development institute since the late 1980s.
2015 saw an annual budget for Empa of 107 million Swiss francs from the Federal government and 61 million from third parties, of which 45 million came from research grants and 11 million from services.
Since 2001, a strategic transition from a materials testing to a research centre has been more and more obvious. For example, from 2001 to 2015, there were over 630 more scientific publications than there were in 2001. From 5 in 2001 to 120 in the same time, the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) funded more projects. Additionally, external support increased from 33.8 million Swiss francs in 2000 to around 61 million Swiss francs (2015). Over 60 projects funded by EU framework programmes are currently being worked on by Empa.
The institution frequently conducts applied research and development in close cooperation with business partners. The tagline of Empa, “Empa – The Place where Innovation Starts,” also reflects this. Empa adopts a multidisciplinary approach; on the majority of projects, scientists and engineers from many fields collaborate together.
Additionally, the Empa supports teaching at universities and universities of applied sciences (UAS), and it actively organised scientific conferences and advanced training courses through the Empa-Akademie. The Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology in Zurich and Lausanne are also supported by the Empa. Aiming scientists, professionals from industry and the business sector, as well as the general public, conferences, lecture series, seminars, and courses are offered, for instance through the “Science Aperitifs” events.
Empa Scholarship Description
- University or Organization: Empa
- Department: NA
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: Salary
- Number of Awards: N/A
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Domestic or International
- The award can be taken in Switzerland.
- Application Deadline: Applications are now open for the academic year 2022/2023.
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: PhD degree in chemistry, Materials science, Earth sciences, Civil engineering, Materials chemistry, and Spectroscopy offered by the university.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- You have experience with X-ray diffraction analysis, thermogravimetry, scanning electron microscopy, vibration spectroscopy, and analysis of aqueous solutions and the knowledge of cement hydration as well as a strong background in materials science and good skills in the design and operation of experimental setups are an advantage.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: To apply for the stipend, applicants must submit an online application form. Please contact Prof. Dr. Barbara Lothenbach at email@example.com.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Application letter
- Certificate/ Reference
- Diplomas with transcripts,
- School Qualification
- Additional Documents
- Letter of motivation
- Contact details of two referees
- Admission Requirements: Students need to hold a master’s degree in chemistry, materials science, earth sciences, civil engineering
- Language Requirement: Applicants must have very good verbal and written knowledge of the English language.
The university will provide a salary to the selected candidate for the academic year 2022/2023 in Switzerland.