With a Google summer internship, you can get valuable experience and land your dream career in the field of computer development.
In this article, we’ll go over the Google summer internship in depth, including its benefits and how to apply.
International students from all across the world are welcome to apply for the Google Summer Internship 2022. The internship will last for three months. Google Summer of Code will pay a stipend of at least 1500 USD and as much as 3300 USD, depending on your region and the certificate you receive at the end.
The Google Summer of Code Internship is a global programme aimed at increasing the number of student programmers involved in open source software development. During their break from school, students work with an open source organisation on a three-month programming project.
Spend your summer break earning a stipend while developing code and learning about open source development! Accepted students collaborate with a mentor and join the open source community. Many people go on to work as open source developers for the rest of their lives. In most countries, Google Summer of Code is open to university students aged 18 and up.
Google Summer of Code is a global programme that introduces students to the world of open source software development. During their break from a post secondary academic programme, students work on a 10-week programming project with an open source group.
The programme has brought together 16,000+ student participants and 13,000 mentors from over 118 countries since its beginning in 2005. For 715 open source groups, Google Summer of Code has generated more than 38,000,000 lines of code.
Student participants in Google Summer of Code are matched with a mentor from one of the participating organisations, giving them hands-on part with real-world software development and practises. Students can spend a stipend while working on projects that are linked to their interests during the break between semesters.
As a result, the participating organisations are able to identify and hire new developers who will implement new features and, hopefully, continue to contribute to open source after the programme ends. Most significantly, more code is written and released for everyone’s benefit.
This is a remote internship (work from home). There is no necessity to travel as part of the programme; all development takes place online.
Google Internship Summary
- Institution(s): Google (Internship)
- Location: Online (Virtual)
- Internship Focused Areas: Programming
- Internship Period: Internship period is three months.
- Internship Deadline: April 13, 2022. You can check the complete timeline from here.
Google Summer Internship Benefits
Google Summer Internship 2022 will provide following benefits:
- Minimum 1500 USD Stipend & Maximum 3300 USD Stipend depending on your country. Check here.
- Working with Big International Companies
- Get Certificates at the End
Note: Stipends are paid in two parts, one after each successful evaluation.
- First Evaluation (paid July 19): 45%
- Final Evaluation (paid September 1): 55%
Eligibility Criteria for Google Summer Internship
Applicants must fulfill the following criteria for Google Summer Internship 2022:
- Required Languages: English
- Eligible Countries: All world countries
- You must be at least 18 years of age when you register
- You must be enrolled in or accepted into a post-secondary academic program, including a college, university, masters program, PhD program, undergraduate program, licensed coding school or similar type of program as of May 17, 2022 or have graduated from the program between December 1, 2022 and May 17, 2022.
- You must be eligible to work in the country you will reside in during the program.
- You have not already been accepted as a Student in GSoC two or more times.
- You must reside in a country that is not currently embargoed by the United States. See Program Rules for more information.
How does Google Summer Internship works?
Students contact the mentor organizations they want to work with and write up a project proposal for the summer. If accepted, students spend a month integrating with their organizations prior to the start of coding. Students then have three months to code, meeting the deadlines agreed upon with their mentors.
Open source projects apply to be mentor organizations. Once accepted, organizations discuss possible ideas with students and then decide on the proposals they wish to mentor for the summer. They provide mentors to help guide each student through the program.
Existing contributors with the organizations can choose to mentor a student project. Mentors and students work together to determine appropriate milestones and requirements for the summer. Mentor interaction is a vital part of the program.
How to Apply for Google Summer Internship 2022?
Please follow the following application instructions to win Google Summer Internship 2022:
- Create an account on Google Summer of Code (GSoc).
- Submit the online application before the deadline.
- Prepare your proposal for the project.
Tips for Google Summer Internship Application:
- All the projects are open-source. Start contributing to them even while you are applying, and after you have applied. Also, stay in touch with the community once you have applied. This shows the organizations your level of interest and dedication towards them.
- Write a detailed proposal. What you are planning to do. How are you planning to do it? The best approach you have in mind for something. Also, propose additional features in the project while writing your proposal.
- Write your proposal in drafts and keep improving it. Never submit your proposal directly to the organization. Mentors are there to help you in the process. You should definitely ask them to review your project proposal. They have a better insight into the project and can help you make your proposal the best.
To know more about Google Summer Internship 2022, please visit Official Website.