Pursue your education in the United Kingdom. It’s all good! Heriot-Watt University is accepting applications for its Postgraduate Merit Award.
This post will go over the details of the scholarship programme, its benefits, and the application process step by step.
International students can apply for the Heriot-Watt University Postgraduate Merit Award 2022-2023, which is a partially financed masters’s scholarship. The excellence award, worth up to £3000, will be given to students who have earned a qualification comparable to a British first-class bachelor’s degree.
Heriot-Watt is a specialised, forward-thinking university with a global presence, world-class research, and highly employable graduates.
Heriot-Watt is a large international university that contributes significantly to Edinburgh’s international reputation in education, business, and research.
Studying at Heriot-Watt will enable you to reap the benefits of living in this world-class city while also providing you with easy access to everything Scotland has to offer, including wonderful hospitality, breathtaking landscapes, and a rich cultural legacy.
More About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish public research university based in Edinburgh. It was founded in 1821 as the School of Arts of Edinburgh, the world’s first mechanics’ institute, and was given university status by royal charter in 1966. It is the UK’s eighth-oldest higher education institution. Scottish inventor James Watt and Scottish philanthropist and goldsmith George Heriot inspired the name Heriot-Watt.
It is one of the 39 old universities in the UK that make up the second cluster of elite universities after Oxbridge, and is known for its emphasis on science and engineering.
Leonard Horner, a Scottish businessman, founded Heriot-Watt as the School of Arts of Edinburgh on October 16, 1821. Inspired by Anderson’s College in Glasgow, Horner founded the School to provide practical science and technology knowledge to Edinburgh’s working men. 64–66 Initially, the institution was small, holding lectures two nights a week in rented rooms and boasting a small library of around 500 technical works. 100 It was also oversubscribed, with admissions quickly closing despite the fact that a year’s access to lectures and the library cost 15 shillings.
Heriot-tenure Watt’s as the Watt Institution was a watershed moment for the organisation, as its curriculum expanded to include subjects other than mathematics and physics. While the School of Arts catered almost entirely to working-class artisans and technical workers, the Watt Institution admitted a large number of middle-class students, whom it enticed with new sciences, social sciences, and humanities subjects. By 1885, the skilled working class was no longer the majority in an institution designed specifically for them.
In 1974, the first personal chair was appointed. While Heriot-Watt continued to grow in the heart of Edinburgh after achieving university status, the institution had grown to the point where relocation was considered desirable. Midlothian County Council donated the Riccarton estate north of Currie to the University in 1966, and work on transforming the site into a future campus began in 1969. 252 The relocation to Riccarton process lasted until 1992, with teaching and facilities split between the new campus and the city centre.
- Level of Study: Masters
- Institution(s): Heriot-Watt University
- Study in: UK
- Opportunity Focus Areas: Click here to find all the available programs.
- Program Period: One year
- Deadline: March 31, 2022
Heriot-Watt University Postgraduate Merit Award are of two types:
- Equivalent to a British first class Bachelors degree for the excellence award up to £3000.
- Equivalent to a British high second class Bachelors degree for a merit award up to £1500.
Please note these are a guide only and the final decision will be taken by the admissions team.
Eligibility Criteria for Heriot-Watt University Postgraduate Merit Award
Applicants must fulfill the following criteria for Heriot-Watt University Postgraduate Merit Award:
- Required Languages: English
- Eligible Countries: Domiciled in an international country at the time of application and classified as an overseas student for fee purposes starting a full-time on-campus programme of study.
- Self-funding your course
- Holding an offer to study a full-time postgraduate taught degree course starting in September or in January.
- The scholarship is applied as a discount to the tuition fee and cannot be used in place of the deposit.
- You are not eligible if you have discounted tuition fees from a partner university or are in receipt of another scholarship.
- Please note that the bachelors academic criteria is how we reach our decision, even if you have subsequently achieved a postgraduate qualification.
How to Apply for Heriot-Watt University Postgraduate Merit Award?
Please follow the following application instructions to avail this scholarship:
- You will be automatically considered for the scholarship if you meet the academic criteria. There is no additional application process for this scholarship.
- To know more about Heriot-Watt Postgraduate Merit Award, please visit official website: