For the academic year 2022/2023, the IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca is looking for eight excellent doctoral candidates for its Fully-funded PhD Positions in Economics, Analytics, and Decision Sciences.
With a unique multidisciplinary approach that relies on the unifying language of statistics and data science, as well as selected tools from computer science and psychology, the EADS Program prepares PhD students of all nationalities to conduct cutting-edge research in various economic and social disciplines.
The Institute of Modern Technology (IMT) is a school for advanced studies. Lucca is a graduate school and a public research institute in Lucca, Italy. The IMT Institute for Advanced Studies was formed in 2005, with the name IMT standing for Institutions, Markets, and Technologies. Within the broad scope of evaluating and managing a variety of systems, it offers a distinctive legacy of competencies.
Why should you study at Lucca’s IMT School of Advanced Studies? Students at IMT will master all of the theoretical knowledge and advanced tools needed to thoroughly confront a variety of analytical, design, and management problems in the economic, social, scientific, technological, and cultural domains within the wide framework of systems analysis.
More About IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca
Scuola IMT Alti Studi Lucca (Italian: IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca) is a public research institute and graduate school in Lucca, Italy. It was established in 2005 as the IMT Institute for Advanced Studies, with IMT standing for “Institutions, Markets, and Technologies.” The School is part of the Italian superior graduate school system, and its main campus is within the old city walls of Lucca’s San Francesco Complex.
IMT Lucca is a research institute for advanced studies that hosts scholars that do methodical research that meets high scientific standards and leads to the creation of new knowledge.
A number of well-known scientists serve on its worldwide advisory board, including Giulio Tononi, Alfio Quarteroni, and Adina L. Roskies.
IMT Lucca’s multidisciplinary PhD programmes bring together economics, engineering, computer science, physics, applied mathematics, statistics, history, and cultural heritage studies. Within the broad context of the analysis and administration of a variety of systems, it offers a distinctive patrimony of competences. Originally designed as three-year programmes, the programmes have been restructured into four-year curricula as of 2019. The four curricula now available are field-specific, albeit they do share a common scientific base in many cases. Candidates may apply for one (or more) of the curricula listed below:
- Complex Systems, Economics, and Management Science
- System Engineering and Computer Science
- Heritage of Culture
IMT Lucca focuses its efforts on a small number of strategic areas. Furthermore, the School selects its professors on a competitive international basis, based on their ability to publish in top-tier international peer-reviewed and high-impact journals, among other factors.
In collaboration with the University of Pisa and Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, IMT Lucca also offers a master’s degree in Bionic Engineering, as well as a doctoral programme in Data Science in collaboration with Scuola Normale Superiore, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, University of Pisa, and the National Research Council-CNR. In collaboration with the Florence Center for Data Science, the School also offers a Master of Science in Data Science and Statistical Learning (University of Florence).
Moreover, the institution hosts seminars, workshops, summer and winter schools throughout the academic year.
- University or Organization: IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca
- Department: NA
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: Fully-funded
- Number of Awards: 8
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Italy.
- Application Deadline: The last date for applications is June 30th, 2022, at noon (CEST time).
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: PhD degree in Economics, Analytics, and Decision Sciences offered by the university.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Demonstrated solid quantitative skills, comparable with those acquired in economics-managerial degrees
- Enthusiasm for research, critical thinking, and interest in policy-relevant
- An exciting multidisciplinary and international research environment with ample opportunities to exchange with scholars from related disciplines at international Universities
- Work under the supervision of at least one Advisor from the faculty
- Work in a team with several other doctoral candidates, postdoc researchers, and faculty.
- A tailor-made scientific training program with a wide range of courses, lectures, and seminars by leading researchers
- Mentoring, training, and career development support.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: You are welcome to submit your application through the online application system at the following link: https://www.imtlucca.it/en/phd/information-for-students.
- Supporting Documents: Students must have attached the reference letters, academic transcripts, and copy of passport, curriculum vitae, and research proposal.
- Admission Requirements: Applicants must have a master’s degree or equivalent, possibly in Economics, Management, Statistics, Law, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, Logic, and Philosophy of Science, Mathematics, Cognitive and Behavioral Sciences, or in contiguous areas (to be obtained by October 31st, 2022).
- Language Requirement: Students must have excellent communication skills in the English language.
- IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca will provide fully-funded scholarships for applicants in Italy.
- A scholarship for a maximum period of 4 consecutive years
- Social security coverage
- Free accommodation on the sustainable and accessible campus (all year round)
- Free meals on campus (lunch and dinner, all year round)
- Additional research funds
- Additional international mobility funds
- Insurance coverage (liability, accident)