For the International PhD Scholarships in Quantum Transport in Vander Waals Heterostructures, Leiden University is now accepting applications.
Outstanding overseas applicants who intend to enroll in Leiden University’s PhD programme for the academic year 2022–2023 are eligible for the studentship.
University was founded in 1575, is one of Europe’s top institutions of higher learning with a focus on global research. Through its seven faculties, the institution provides 50 undergraduate, 100 graduate, and 50 doctoral or PhD programmes.
In addition to providing many employment and funds, Leiden supports teaching and research, team building, international interactions, talent development, and campus cultural creation. It encourages education and research, collaboration, global exchanges, talent development, and the development of campus cultures.
More About Leiden University
In Leiden, the Netherlands, there is a public research university called Leiden University. As a thank you to the city of Leiden for its resistance against Spanish raids during the Eighty Years War, William, Prince of Orange founded the university as a Protestant institution of higher learning in 1575. It is also the oldest and most well-known higher education institution in the Netherlands and all of Europe.
The institution gained great notoriety during the Dutch Golden Age, when academics from all over Europe were drawn to the Dutch Republic because of its intellectually open environment and Leiden’s global renown. Leiden is known for its historical roots and concentration on the social sciences. René Descartes, Rembrandt, Christiaan Huygens, Hugo Grotius, Baruch Spinoza, and Baron d’Holbach all made Leiden their home during this time.
The university is home to more than 40 national and international research institutions, seven academic colleges, and more than fifty subject departments. A second campus, which is located in The Hague, is home to a liberal arts college and many of its faculties, while the university’s historical main campus is made up of buildings dispersed around the college town of Leiden. It is a founding member of the League of European Research Universities, a member of the Coimbra Group, and the Europium.
In the 2020 QS World University Rankings, Leiden University was ranked in the top 50 globally in thirteen fields of study, including politics, archaeology, anthropology, history, pharmacology, law, public policy, public administration, religious studies, arts & humanities, linguistics, modern languages, and sociology. The university consistently ranks among the top universities in the world.
Public administration is placed third in the world in the 2022 Shanghai Ranking Global Ranking of Academic Subjects, along with medical technology, pharmacy & pharmaceutical sciences, political sciences, and library & information science.
In addition to Enrico Fermi and Albert Einstein, the institution has produced twenty-six Spinoza Prize winners and sixteen Nobel laureates.
Leiden University Scholarship Description
- University or Organization: Leiden University
- Department: Faculty of Science and the Leiden Institute of Physics
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: € 2.540 to € 3.247 gross per month
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: 2
- Nationality: International Students
- The award can be taken in the Netherlands.
- Application Deadline: Candidates must submit their program application before the 18th of September 2022.
Eligibility For Leiden University Scholarship
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: PhD degree in Quantum transport in van der Waals heterostructures
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, applicants must have to meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must have a master’s degree in a relevant field of study.
- For students of all nationalities applying for a PhD degree program.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: In order to apply for the scholarship, you must take admission in a PhD degree program at the university. Then, submit your completed scholarship application form as a scanned email attachment to Assistant Professor Dr. Semonti Bhatacharya Semonti Bhattacharyya, email: Bhattacharyya@physics.leidenuniv.nl.
- Supporting Documents: Candidates must send their supporting documents in the following manner:
- A letter of motivation
- CV (contact of at least one reference, preferably two references)
- 1-page document on how you address the selection criteria
- Please explain in the body of the email why you are interested in this position
- Academic transcripts of the Masters degree
- Admission Requirements: Before applying, you need to check all the entrance requirements for your study.
- Language Requirement: If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
Leiden University will provide a salary range from € 2.541,- to €3.247,- gross per month (pay scale P in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). They offer a full-time 1-year term position for initially one year. After a positive evaluation of the progress of the thesis, personal capabilities, and compatibility the appointment will be extended by a further three years.