Pursue your studies in the United Kingdom. There’s good news! Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships are now accepting applications.
We will go through the details of this scholarship programme, its perks, and the application process step by step in this article.
International students can apply for the Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships 2022-2023, which are fully financed. This scholarship is worth £300,000, which includes a salary, a fellowship supplement, and research costs.
- Australian Museum Postgraduate Award 2022-23
- Newcastle University PhD Scholarships, UK-2022
- Latest Yale University Scholarships, USA-2022
- Copenhagen University Scholarship, Denmark-2022
- MEL Scholarship Trust Fund, Netherlands-2022
Sir Henry Wellcome was a British physician who founded the Wellcome Trust International students from all over the world are eligible to apply for postdoctoral research fellowships at Wellcome in the UK for the academic year 2022-2023. This Fellowship award includes £300,000 for a basic salary (decided by your host organisation) as well as financing the whole cost of your salary for the duration of the grant.
This programme offers freshly qualified postdoctoral researchers to begin independent research careers while working in some of the world’s greatest research environments.
Sir Henry Wellcome was a British physician who founded the Wellcome Trust Researchers who desire to pursue a guided term of research before doing their own independent research are eligible for Postdoctoral Fellowships.
- Level of Study: Post-doctoral
- Institution(s): Wellcome
- Study in: Ireland, UK
- Program Period: Four years
- Courses Offered: Public health
- Deadline: March 23, 2022 / 17 June 2022
Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships will provide the recipient with the following benefits:
The award includes: £300,000 provides support for :
- a basic salary (determined by your host organisation)
- funding the total cost of your salary for the entire period of the grant
You should ask your host organisation to calculate this. It should reflect the skills, responsibilities and expertise needed to carry out the role, and include:
- your basic salary
- employer’s contributions, including any statutory obligations (eg National Insurance contributions if you’re based in the UK) and pension scheme costs
- any incremental progression up the salary scale
- locally recognised allowances such as London allowance.
- a fellowship supplement of £2,500 a year, for your personal support
- research expenses directly related to your proposal
To know more click here
Note: You should allow for salary pay awards during Year 1. These should be based on pay awards already agreed: if you don’t know what the pay award is yet then use our inflation rate. For Year 1 include any known pay awards for this period or an assumed percentage equivalent to our current inflation rate of 2.0% if this hasn’t been confirmed.
- Find out more about fellows working on a Wellcome grant , Visa and work permit costs
- If Wellcome is going to pay your salary on the grant, you can ask for visa and work permit costs to help you take up the post at your host organisation. You can also ask for:
- visa costs for your partner and dependent children
- Immigration Health Surcharge costs for you, your partner and dependent children if you will be in the UK for six months or more
- essential associated costs, such as travel to attend appointments at a visa application centre or embassy if you can justify these.
If you’re awarded this fellowship:
- During your fellowship, you can apply for Research Enrichment funding to increase the impact of your work through activities in public engagement, open research, and diversity and inclusion.
- If you’re from outside the UK, and your host organisation is in the UK, you’re guaranteed an endorsement of a Tier 1 Global Talent visa application.
What fellowship doesn’t offer:
- Major equipment. We only consider modest requests for equipment, so the place you choose to do your research must have the necessary equipment and facilities.
- Research assistance.
We don’t fund overheads.
Eligibility Criteria for Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships
To qualify for Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships, candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Language: English.
- Eligible Countries: All world countries.
- Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships are aimed at researchers who want to undertake a guided period of research and will go on to lead their own independent research.
- You must either be in the final year of your PhD studies or be an early-career researcher with some initial postdoctoral experience.
- You should have started to make important contributions to your area of research, eg publications, patents, software development or an impact on policy.
- You must have an eligible sponsoring organisation in the UK or Republic of Ireland that will administer the fellowship for the full duration of the award.
- Be a UK or European Economic Area national.or have, or expect to have, a PhD from a UK or Republic of Ireland university.
If you’ve been away from research (eg for a career break, maternity leave, or long-term sick leave), we’ll allow for this when we consider your application.
What we’re looking for:
- During this fellowship, we expect you to expand your research horizons and develop your scientific independence so that you can become a leader in the field.
- The idea for the research project should be yours and you should drive the development of your proposal, although you can take advice from research sponsors and mentors.
- The scope of your proposal should be broader than that of a typical postdoctoral position. It should enable you to explore a research area that will set you apart from your research sponsors.
You could do this by developing new skills and/or by working:
- Across disciplines
- In new research environments or sectors
- In more than one research location, either in the UK or another country (apart from mainland China).
- We expect you to think about your long-term vision and the skills and competencies you’ll need.
We have more information to help you decide if this scheme is right for your career stage:
- guidance on Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships [DOCX 29KB]
- summaries of the people and projects we’ve funded
- an overview diagram of Wellcome schemes that support careers in research
- the postdoctoral research career stage, including the career paths of some of our researchers.
Who can’t apply.
You can’t usually apply if:
- you have previously held or are currently completing a nationally competitive fellowship at an equivalent level.
- you’re currently applying for another Wellcome fellowship.
- You can’t apply if you want to combine research with a continuing clinical career in medicine, psychology, dentistry or veterinary practice. Instead, see our clinical fellowship schemes.
- If you’ve already been unsuccessful with a full application for this scheme, please contact us before you apply again. We don’t usually accept resubmissions of full applications.
- You can’t apply to carry out activities that involve the transfer of grant funds into mainland China.
Know more about eligible host organisation.
How to Apply for Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships?
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- Submit your preliminary application.
- Review of preliminary applications.
- Submit your full application to your host organisation for approval.
- Host organisation reviews your application.
- External peer review.
- Shortlisting and Funding decision.
- Get some tips to help you write a Wellcome grant application.
- If your proposal involves clinical research using NHS resources, check if you need to upload a SoECAT form with your full application.
To know more about Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowships, please visit Official Website.