For the academic year 2022–2023, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) is offering PhD Scholarships in Flow Cell, and the Department of Chemical Engineering and Industrial Chemistry is searching for highly qualified candidates to apply.
A interdisciplinary research team from VUB, UHasselt, and KU Leuven will work on the project. Ten Flemish/Belgian enterprises will also provide advice on the project, with applications in the development of medicinal components and vaccines, the harvesting of bioparticles in bioreactors, enhanced coatings and materials, and the elimination of microplastics from water.
A research university in Brussels, Belgium that speaks both Dutch and English is called the Vrije Universitiet Brussel (VUB). It is dedicated to carrying out its role as a university and is very active. It provides instruction in a wide range of contemporary fields. The four sorts of degrees it awards are bachelor’s, master’s, master after master’s, and doctorate.
Why do you want to attend the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) to study?
VUB works hard to establish solid relationships with academic institutions, local and international organisations, business, government officials, and politicians. The VUB, one of the top comprehensive universities in the world with a 180-year history, combines award-winning research with approved study programmes taught in English and Dutch that have a significant influence on social, economic, and cultural innovation.
More About Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
A research university in Brussels, Belgium that speaks both Dutch and English is called the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB).  It has four campuses: the Elsene campus for the Brussels Humanities, Science and Engineering; the Jette campus for the Brussels Health; the Anderlecht campus for the Brussels Technology; and the Elsene campus for the Brussels Photonics (in Gooik).
The Free University of Brussels, established in 1834 by Flemish-Brussels jurist Pierre-Théodore Verhaegen, was divided to become the Vrije Universiteit Brussel in 1970. The founder wanted to create a university that was apart from the government and the church and that valued academic independence.
This is still represented in the university’s current catchphrases, Redelijk eigenzinnig (in Dutch), or Reasonably opinionated, and Scientia vincere tenebras, or Conquering darkness with science. Accordingly, the university is democratically run, meaning that all members—from students to faculty—participate in the decision-making processes. It is also pluralistic—open to all students on the premise of equality regardless of their ideologies, politics, cultures, or social backgrounds.
According to the 2021 QS World University Ranking, VUB is a significantly research-oriented institution that is ranked in the top 200 universities worldwide. Compared to publications from other Flemish universities, its research articles receive an average of more citations.
The university is divided into eight faculties that carry out its three main missions: teaching, research, and community service. The faculties offer instruction in a wide range of subject areas, including engineering, classics, biological sciences, social sciences, and humanities. About 8,000 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate students are served by the university’s bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate programmes.
VUB Scholarship Description
- University or Organization: Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB)
- Department: Department of Chemical engineering and Industrial Chemistry
- Course Level: PhD
- Award: Salary
- Number of Awards: N/A
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Domestic or International
- The award can be taken in Belgium.
- Application Deadline: Applications must be received by 01st September 2022.
Eligibility For VUB Scholarship
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: PhD degree in Faculty of Engineering, Department Chemische ingenieurstechnieken en industriële scheikunde.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Knowledge of microfluidics is a plus.
- Familiarity with lab or cleanroom environment is a plus.
- Candidate must be adept at researching professional literature and patents.
- ICT: excellent knowledge of basic software packages Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, and machine software is essential. Knowledge of Solidworks or similar CAD program, Matlab, Labview, and PLC is a plus.
- Eager to learn: urge to acquire and maintain in-depth knowledge in a specific field quickly.
- Sense of initiative and flexibility.
- Strong in scientific analysis and reporting.
- Working with high self-imposed standards for quality and accuracy.
- Able to work both autonomously and in a team.
- Strong in multi-tasking.
- Hands-on mentality.
- Willing to occasionally work overtime to meet a specific deadline.
How to Apply For VUB Scholarship
- How to Apply: The applicants can apply for admission via the university portal. The scholarship application must be submitted online. Please contact Prof. Dr. Ir. Wim De Malsche at Wim.De.Malsche@vub.be
- Supporting Documents: The students must have a CV, a letter of motivation, and the highest degree they’ve attained.
- Admission Requirements: Students must have a Master’s degree in the certificate with outstanding academic achievement for taking admission.
- Language Requirement: The students must have excellent knowledge of spoken and written English is essential, and knowledge of Dutch and other languages is a plus.
VUB Scholarship Benefits
As well as this, you’ll enjoy various VUB benefits:
- The VUB will offer a full-time PhD-scholarship for 12 months (with a maximum total of 4 years) (extendable up to max. Forty-eight months, on condition of the positive evaluation of the PhD activities.
- Full reimbursement for your home-work commute with public transport according to VUB policy, or compensation if you come by bike.
- Cost-free hospitalization insurance.
- The space to form your job content and continuously learn via VUB LRN.
- Excellent facilities for sport and exercise.
- eco vouchers .
- Delicious meals at attractive prices in our campus restaurants.
- An open, family-friendly work environment pays attention to work-life balance and exceptional holiday arrangements with 35 days of leave (based on a full-time contract).