Sachio Semmoto Scholar Awards, One of the most popular study abroad countries for foreign students is Japan. You can apply for one of the SEMMOTO Scholarships being provided by the Frances & Sachio Semmoto Foundation for the academic year 2022–2023 if you too wish to study in Japan.
Juniors and sophomores enrolled in a four-year undergraduate programme are eligible for this award. The Frances & Sachio Semmoto Foundation strives to offer financial support to gifted students from the Asia-Pacific region who have a clear financial need and want to continue post-secondary education in Japan.
The Frances & Sachio Semmoto Foundation, which was established in September 2017, intends to give these students the tools they need to develop into the country’ future leaders while also promoting goodwill and understanding between Japan and its neighbours in the Asia Pacific.
More About The Frances & Sachio Semmoto Foundation
A Japanese telecom firm called eAccess and eMobile is now led by Sachio Semmoto as chairman and CEO. He was also named a director of the Telecom Corporation of New Zealand Limited on March 24, 2009.
Sachio Semmoto has also held positions on the boards of directors for Sega Corporation and Softbank. In addition to earning his M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Florida, Semmoto graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Kyoto University.
With more than 30 years of senior management experience with the top Japanese telecommunications corporations, Dr. Sachio Semmoto is a successful entrepreneur in the telecommunications sector.
In 1966, he started working at Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Public Corporation (NTT, Japan), where he remained until 1983. He co-founded the first private telecom company, DDI, now KDDI Corporation, in 1984 after successfully advocating for a deregulated telecom business in Japan. KDDI Corporation has a market worth of about $85 billion.
He left the business after its IPO in 1996 to work as a Professor of Entrepreneurship at Keio University in Tokyo, Japan, as well as a Visiting Professor at the Universities of California, Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, and Stanford.
Dr. Sachio Semmoto created and oversaw the operations of eAccess, Ltd., an Internet access business that commercialised the DSL market in Japan and eventually attained the second-largest market share globally. He created and assumed leadership of EMOBILE, which grew to become Japan’s fourth-largest mobile network operator, after the IPO of eAccess in 2004. 2013 saw the sale of EMOBILE and eAccess to SoftBank.
He currently holds the position of Executive Chairman of RENOVA, Inc., a prestigious provider of renewable energy (Japan). He established the Frances & Sachio Semmoto Foundation in 2017 to give students from the Asia Pacific region access to postsecondary education in Japan when they would not otherwise have the wherewithal to do so.
Sachio Semmoto Scholarship Description
- University or Organization: The Frances & Sachio Semmoto Foundation
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Post-secondary
- Award: ¥80,000 per month
- Number of Awards: 7
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Japan.
- Application Deadline: Applications must be received by Monday, August 1, 2022.
- Eligible Countries: Applicants from Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, United States are eligible to apply.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded in any subject offered by the university
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Open to students of the following nationalities studying at Japanese universities with a student visa.
- Open to sophomores and juniors as of October 1, 2022, enrolled in a four-year undergraduate program at the following designated universities.
- In addition to academic excellence, applicants must have a demonstrated interest in cross-cultural understanding and communication skills, a sincere attitude toward their goals, and be physically and mentally sound enough to endure life as a foreign exchange student.
- The scholarship serves those with difficulty paying the full amount of study abroad expenses due to financial reasons.
- Applicants must have been born on or after April 1, 1993 (under 29 years of age as of March 31, 2022).
How to Apply
- How to Apply: The students must first apply for admission to a Frances & Sachio Semmoto Foundation of their choice. A scholarship application form or attach your ID photo (4.0 cm x 3.0 cm), and sign where indicated. After that, complete the Online essay form.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Transcript of academic records.
- Copy of residence card (front and back).
- Submit two online essays via the designated web form.
- Submit online essay.
- Admission Requirements: Students must hold a previous degree certificate with relevant marks.
- Language Requirement: All international applicants must prove Japanese or English proficiency at the Frances & Sachio Semmoto Foundation.
The Frances & Sachio Semmoto Foundation will provide the selected students with an award of ¥80,000 per month for one year in Japan.