This post is for you if you want to study in Germany on a scholarship. This post will answer all of your questions concerning the DAAD scholarships 2023, including what they are, why you should apply, and how to do it.
In 2023 – 2024, foreign students can apply for and receive fully funded DAAD scholarships. applying for a master’s or doctoral program at one of Germany’s most prestigious universities? Graduate students receive 861 euros per month, and doctorate students receive 1,200 euros per month in DAAD funding.
Experts who have received extensive training and have established a global network contribute significantly to the long-term success of their home countries. They’re our best shot at a brighter future in which poverty is reduced and everyone has access to higher levels of education and better health care. The DAAD encourages the education and preparation of specialists from developing and recently industrialized nations through its postgraduate study programs with a focus on development.
The scholarships provide opportunities for recent college graduates from developing and newly industrialized nations to study at a German university that is either state-funded or state-recognized and earn a master’s or doctorate degree.
- DAAD Scholarship Highlights
- DAAD Scholarship Coverage
- DAAD Scholarship Eligibility
- How You Can Apply for DAAD Scholarship
- Application and Selection Procedure for DAAD Scholarship
- DAAD Scholarship FAQs
DAAD Scholarship Highlights
- Study Level: Doctoral (PhD) / Masters
- Institution: DAAD
- Study in: Germany
- Courses Offered:
- Economic Sciences, Law
- Agricultural and Forest Sciences
- Art, Design
- Engineering and Natural Sciences
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Language and Cultural Studies
- Mathematics, Natural Sciences
- Medicine, Health Sciences
- You can also see the complete list of available Postgraduate Courses.
- Program Period: Between 12 and 36 months depending on the length of the chosen study program.
- Deadline: Depending on chosen study program; please check, Deadlines.
DAAD Scholarship Coverage
The DAAD Scholarship 2023 for Masters and PhD study in Germany provides the following benefits:
- Graduates receive 861 EUR per month and doctorate candidates receive 1,200 EUR per month.
- Expenses for travel, unless already covered by the home nation or another funding source.
- Insurance premiums, including those for health, accident, and liability, are paid.
- One-off study allowance.
DAAD Scholarship additional benefits:
- Help with up to € 500.- per semester in tuition costs, depending on the university.
- Monthly rent subsidy.
DAAD Scholarship Eligibility
- Eligible Countries: Click here for list of eligible developing countries.
- Candidates have a Bachelor degree (usually a four-year course) or Masters degree in an appropriate subject.
- Candidates have at least two years professional experience.
- Candidates can prove their motivation is development-related and be expected to take on social responsibility and initiate and support processes of change in their personal and professional environment after their training/scholarship.
- Required Languages: English or German.
- For international programs, the language of instruction is English. You are usually required to submit an English language certificate e.g. TOEFL or IELTS.
- For other programs, the language of instruction is German. You are usually required to submit a German language certificate e.g. DSH or Test DaF.
Also check: How Challenging Do You Find Studying Abroad?
How You Can Apply for DAAD Scholarship
To apply for Masters or PhD, DAAD Scholarship kindly follow the following application procedure steps:
You may register for up to three courses. For applications to several courses offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), please list courses in order of priority (see 7. Choice of host university/institution in Germany) and do not modify priorities in the corresponding application form!
- Signed DAAD application form with current date
- Personally signed CV (please use the sample euro pass form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/) with current date.
- Personally signed Letter of Motivation (with reference to current occupation and choice of postgraduate programme(s), two pages maximum) with current date.
IMPORTANT: When applying for more than one postgraduate course (maximum 3 courses), you have to submit one motivation letter explaining why you are applying for these specific courses and why you chose that priority.
- Letter of recommendation from your current employer; the letter must have letterhead, a signature and official stamp and must be of current date (not in a sealed envelope)
- Certificate(s) of Employment from the employer(s) that proof a minimum of two years of relevant working experience (after the bachelor degree) at the time of application and if possible, a guarantee of re-employment from your current employer upon returning home.
- Proof of Language Skills:
- English – IELTS or TOEFL (Note: The institutional TOEFL is not accepted)
- German – Required for courses taught in German
- Copies of Academic Degrees (certified translation if necessary)
- Copies of Academic Transcripts, incl. grading-scale (certified translation if necessary)
- Applicants from the People’s Republic of China are asked to submit an APS Certificate with their application documents.
Note: The complete applications have to be submitted in English or German to be considered. Some courses may require additional documents. For detailed information, please see the relevant course description in the Brochure and on the respective websites.
Also check: Heidelberg PhD Scholarships, Germany 2023
Application and Selection Procedure for DAAD Scholarship
- Chose suitable courses of your interest. (You can apply for maximum three courses)
- Apply to universities offering that courses.
- You send your complete applications with above documents directly to the universities.
- A selection committee suggests potential candidates for a DAAD scholarship.
- The suggested candidates will be contacted by DAAD to upload their complete application to the DAAD Portal. The link to the DAAD Portal will be provided by DAAD through email.
- The selection process will be finalized, and the suggested candidates will be informed accordingly.
Make sure that you have a copy of each document of your application ready, as those documents (as PDF files) have to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal in case you are suggested for a DAAD scholarship!
DAAD Scholarship FAQs
Are you sure DAAD Scholarship is fully funded?
The DAAD Germany Scholarships 2023 for Masters and PhD are fully funded scholarships for international students to study in Germany. All tuition costs are paid for. A monthly allowance for family members who come along.
How much CGPA or Percentage is required for DAAD Scholarship?
Depending on the degree, you need a minimum of 8.5 CGPA or 85% or the equivalent. Now you know how to get a DAAD scholarship for a master’s degree or a bachelor’s degree.
After DAAD Scholarship Can I work in Germany?
European Union and European Economic Area graduates can work anywhere in Germany without any problems. Citizens of other countries can get an extra 18 months on their residence permit after they graduate if they need more time to find a job. The 18 months start when you get the results of your last test.