Pursue your studies in the United Kingdom. There’s good news! The application period for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship is now open.
We will go through the details of this scholarship, its benefits, and the application process step by step in this article. The Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2022-2023 is a fully funded international scholarship. This scholarship is available for master’s and doctoral programmes. This scholarship includes a stipend of £17,848 per year, health insurance, up to £2,000 in academic development money, and a family allowance of up to £10,120.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program began in October 2000, when the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation donated US$ 210 million to the University of Cambridge, the largest single grant ever made to a UK university.
For the academic year 2022, Gates Cambridge will provide 80 full-fee scholarships to outstanding individuals from outside the United Kingdom who wish to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Cambridge in any subject. PhD students will be eligible for about two-thirds of the awards, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 awards available in the international round.
- Level of Study: Masters, PhD
- Institution(s): University of Cambridge
- Study in: UK
- Opportunity Focus Areas: All the available courses at University of Cambridge except the courses listed below
- Program Period: Two years for masters and three years for PhD
- For US Citizens: October 13, 2022
- For International Students: Dependent on your course – either December 2, 2022 or January 6, 2022 (see Course Directory)
Courses which are NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Gates Cambridge Scholarship provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- The University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,848 for 12 months rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for one child and up to £14,440 for two or more children. No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
Eligibility Criteria for Gates Cambridge Scholarship
To qualify for Gates Cambridge Scholarship, candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Language: English
- Eligible Countries: All world countries.
- Academic excellence.
- You should be able to make a strong case for a particular postgraduate degree at Cambridge.
- A commitment to improving the lives of others.
- A capacity for leadership.
- Applicants must be from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree.
How to Apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarship?
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- Apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section.
- Build up an account on the website.
- Fill in your personal information
- Submit these documents:
- Gates Cambridge Statement: In no more than 3000 characters (approximately 500 words) please explain why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and how you meet the four main criteria.
- Research proposal (PhD applicants only)
- Gates reference: In addition to two academic references for admission, Gates Cambridge applicants submit a reference about their fit with the scholarship.
- Answer the application questions.
- Submit the application