Applications are currently being accepted for the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships program by Hungary Government, which aims to empower young individuals residing in Hungarian diasporas by providing access to study abroad programs in Hungary. The primary objective of the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships is to strengthen the ties between Hungarian diaspora populations and Hungary. It seeks to support individuals aspiring to reconnect with their Hungarian heritage while pursuing careers that contribute to the prosperity of their expatriate community.
The Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships are available for a diverse range of academic pursuits, including bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s, doctoral, non-degree programs (preparatory and specialization courses), and postgraduate specialist training courses. One-tier master’s programs encompass both bachelor’s and master’s levels, resulting in a combined master’s degree.
These comprehensive programs cover various academic fields such as teacher training, general medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, architecture, law, veterinary surgery, forestry engineering, and more. Postgraduate specialist training courses offer specialized qualifications after completing a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
Also check: Saitama University Scholarships 2024 Japan
The Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships accommodates both full-time and part-time (exchange) education. Full-time degree programs lead to a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate degree. Full-time non-degree programs serve as prerequisites for degree programs or specialty courses after completing a degree. Partial studies, involving one or two semesters (5 or 10 months), are available for exchange programs.
The Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships are open to applicants from all countries worldwide, excluding European Union countries, the Republic of Serbia, and the Zakarpatska Oblast part of Ukraine. The Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade oversees the Scholarship Program, with administration managed by the Tempus public foundation.
- Program Name: Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships
- University / Organization: Hungary Government
- Study Level: Undergraduate / Master’s / PhD degree
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in Hungary.
- Application Deadline: 31 January 2024 – 14:00. Annual 2024 Deadline list is given in the link CHECK HERE.
The Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships provides the following benefits:
- Tuition-free education: exemption from the payment of tuition fee.
- Monthly stipend of HUF 43,700 (cca EUR 119) for non-degree, bachelor’s, master’s and one-tier master’s level students. For doctoral level students an amount of HUF 140,000 (cca EUR 381) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180,000 (cca EUR 489) for the second phase (4 semesters). Stipends are paid for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- Accommodation contribution: free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period. For students not living in dormitories, the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to the rental costs since in bigger cities, this amount would not cover the full rental costs.
- Medical insurance: health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to 65,000 (cca EUR 177) a year/person.
- Travel contribution (upon request): The scholarship also has a travel component, which grants a one-time travel stipend of HUF 330,000 (cca. 897 USD) if the distance between Budapest and the applicant’s place of residence (=city/town) is 8,000 km or more, (using this distance calculation tool).
Important Note: The above provisions are only a contribution. The monthly stipend and accommodation contribution is awarded upon extra request, applicants need to indicate their request in the online application system.
Eligibility for the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships
To apply for the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships program, applicants should comply with the following criteria:
- has Hungarian roots and maintains a Hungarian identity, which they convincingly demonstrate in a Diaspora Motivation Letter and declare in the Statement for Application that is a part of the application,
- is a citizen of one of the eligible countries (see details above) and has an address outside of Hungary,
- holds a recommendation from a Hungarian diaspora organization or a Hungarian Diplomatic Representation (including Honorary Consuls) of the respective country (=Diaspora Recommendation Letter),
- has made a statement that they have lived a minimum of 10 years outside Hungary before the submission of their application.
- has completed the last 4 years of their secondary education in a foreign country (not Hungary). If in the applicant’s country secondary education lasts less than 4 years, the last period of primary education will be considered, too.
- was born before 31 August 2006 (except those applying for Dance study programs),
- undertakes to sign a scholarship agreement and learn Hungarian as a foreign language and culture during their whole study period.
- In case of study programs conducted in a foreign (non-Hungarian) language, the applicant undertakes to attend a Hungarian as a foreign language and culture course during the entire period of the scholarship agreement.
- Applicant undertakes to pass a Hungarian as a foreign language exam, at least at an intermediate level of proficiency (B2 level 4) by the end of the scholarship studies, no later than within 1 year after obtaining the degree (or certificate in case of postgraduate specialist training courses). The obligation to pass a Hungarian as a foreign language exam does not apply for students taking part in 1 or 2 semester-long short study programs, including partial/exchange studies.
- The applicant agrees to support a local Hungarian diaspora in a particular country with community work for a 2- year long period after obtaining their degree. This obligation only applies to those Scholarship Holders who are awarded for a full time study program leading to a degree. It means that the obligation does not apply to those studying in a partial/exchange study mode, or non-degree study programs (Hungarian preparatory and postgraduate specialist training course).
Important Note: Please note that in the case of non-Hungarian language study programs, prior knowledge of the Hungarian language is not required.
Non Eligibility for the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships
Applications will not be considered for the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships in the following cases:
- has only Hungarian citizenship or is a person granted a refugee status (“menekült”) or a person enjoying temporary protection (“menedékes”), or a person admitted for subsidiary protection (“oltalmazott”), or a person granted humanitarian protection (“befogadott”).
- was born after 31 August 2006 (= applicants under 18 years old as of 31 August 2024 except applicants applying for Dance study programs),
- applying for a doctoral program has submitted an application for another study level, as well, in the same application round of the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships. In this case, the application for the lower study level will not be considered.
- Those applicants who are registered self-financed / fee-paying students of a Hungarian higher education institution at the time of the application deadline AND who are applying for a study level below their self-financed studies.
- has been a Scholarship Holder in the framework of the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships or in any other scholarship programs established by the Hungarian Government on the same or higher study level.
- is applying for the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships for any cycles of education while they still have a scholarship status in the framework of the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships or in other scholarship programs established by the Hungarian Government at the time of application and will not receive their degree until 31 August 2024,
- has postponed the start date of their scholarship studies in the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships or in any other scholarship programs established by the Hungarian Government and did not withdraw their scholarship before the current application deadline,
- does not fulfill the entry requirements determined by the Host Institution. Those applicants who are registered self-financed / fee-paying students of a Hungarian higher education institution at the time of the application deadline AND who are now applying for the same study level are only eligible to apply for the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships if
- they are recommended by their Hungarian host universities where they are studying at the time of application, AND
- if their cumulative, corrected sum average (“összesített korrigált kreditindex”) is higher than the students’ average performance in the particular study program (“szakátlag”). Please note that the requirement regarding the cumulative, corrected sum average does not apply for applicants for doctoral programs.
Hungarian Diaspora Scholarship partner universities
The list of universities in Hungary given below at which you can study with the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships.
- Edtvés Jozsef College
- Budapest Business School
- University of Applied Sciences
- Budapest University of Technology and Economics
- Corvinus University of Budapest
- Edtvés Lorand University
- Hungarian University of Fine Arts
- Hungarian University of Sports Science
- John Wesley Theological College
- Karoli Gaspar University of the Reformed Church in Hungary
- Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music
- MFA Balassi
- Obuda University
- Pazmany Péter Catholic University
- Sapientia College of Theology of Religious Orders
- Semmelweis University
- University of Public Service
- University of Veterinary Medicine Budapest
- University of Debrecen
- University of Dunaújváros
- Eszterházy Károly Catholic University
- Széchenyi István University
- Hungarian University of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- John von Neumann University
- University of Miskolc
- University of Nyíregyháza
- University of Pécs
- University of Sopron
- Apor Vilmos Catholic College
For more. Please click to visit HERE to see the full list of available host institutions for the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships program.
How to Apply for the Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships?
To apply for a Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships Kindly follow the simple and easy application procedure:
- Admission applications must be via the university portal of the students respective universities. The application can be made online.
- The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Motivation letter
- Letters of recommendation
- Proof of language
- School certificates and their translation
- Transcripts of records and its translation
- Medical certificate
- Copy of identification document
- Copy of a valid document
- Recommendation letter from a Diaspora Organisation or the Hungarian Diplomatic Representation
- Statement for application
- Research plan
- The applicants must have academic qualifications relevant to the course or level, of course they wish to apply for and meet any additional requirements of their chosen university.
- The students must meet the language requirements of their university and also the course they have applied for, if applicable.
- for further details you can visit the official website given link HERE.
For further questions about the application, please contact the program managers.
- Skype: ”diasporascholarship”
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: +36 1 236 5045
- Frequently Asked Questions
Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships FAQs
How can get full Hungarian Diaspora Scholarships by Hungary Government?
1-Choose the program of your choice. Study offerings may vary per partner nation.
2-Get in touch with the person who will be forwarding.
3-Sign up and submit your paperwork.
4-Deadline for submissions….
5-Nominations submitted by the sending partner.
6-Exam required for entry into universities in Hungary.
Which country easily gives scholarship?
A scholarship in China is the most simple and easy to avail.