For the academic year 2022-2023, the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships are accepting applications from international students interested in pursuing a PhD at a Canadian university.
This scholarship is worth up to $60,000 per year (including a $20,000 annual travel allowance) for a maximum of three years.
The grant encourages multidisciplinary research and creative fieldwork by offering a significant yearly research and travel allowance, allowing Scholars to interact directly with the many populations that might enrich their studies. Furthermore, each Scholar is paired with a prestigious Trudeau Mentor, who is chosen by the Foundation from among the most prominent Canadian practitioners in all fields of public life.
Through accessible financial support, the Scholarship also provides the chance to interact with an amazing community of leaders and committed persons in every sector of the social sciences and humanities, to participate in Foundation events, and to run their own workshops.
Candidates are judged on their academic performance, which must meet or exceed the highest academic criteria of the world’s most prestigious doctorate scholarship programmes. Future scholars must also show a willingness to participate in active debate with other researchers and scholars, as well as a commitment to contribute to public debate.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Scholarship Summary
- Level of Study: PhD (Doctoral)
- Study in: Canada
- Institution(s): Canadian Universities
- Courses Offered:
- Social Sciences.
- Program Period:
- Maximum three years.
- Deadline: Varies as per universities (Deadline to apply directly to the Foundation: December 21, 2022)
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Scholarship Coverage
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships will provide the recipient with the following benefits:
- Annual value up to $60,000 (including an annual travel allowance of $20,000) per Scholar for a maximum of three years.
Eligibility Criteria for Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships
To qualify for Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships, candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Language: English.
- Eligible Countries: All world countries.
- You must be already accepted into or in year one, two, or three of a full-time doctoral program in the humanities or social sciences (broadly defined)
- Your doctoral work must relate to at least one of the Foundation’s four central themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada and the World, People and their Natural Environment
- Canadian citizens are eligible whether they are at a Canadian or an international institution
- Non-Canadians (permanent residents or foreign nationals) enrolled in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution are eligible
How to Apply for Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships?
Please follow the following application instructions to Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships:
- Learn about your university’s internal selection process deadlines: Each university has a different internal deadline, so make sure that you apply on time.
- Register: When the competition opens, register for an account on the Foundation’s application portal. You will receive a username and password by email within 4 business days of registering (please check your spam folder if you do not see it). If you already have an account from a previous scholarship competition, you can login using your existing login credentials or request a password reset.
- Fill out the application: Once you log in, you can apply by completing the application form in the “Ébauche / Draft” section of the portal. Please also fill out your contact information in the “Coordonnées / Contacts” section of the portal.
- Get recommendation letters: While filling out the application form, you will be asked to enter the name and email address of your two referees in the box provided. An email will automatically be sent to the referees, asking them to upload their reference letter in PDF format directly to our portal. We advise that you follow up with your references to ensure they submit on time.
- Upload transcripts: Upload transcripts covering all of your post-secondary education in one PDF document. Any candidates who attended CEGEP in Quebec should not include their CEGEP transcripts.
- Contact your university: Please inform the awards officer responsible for the PETF Scholarship competition at your university to let them know you’ve applied. This ensures that your application will be included in your university’s selection process.
- University nominations: The Foundation is asking all applicants to apply directly to via its application platform . Universities are not required to nominate their preferred candidates. All candidates who submit completed applications by the December 21, 2022 at 5 p.m. EST deadline will be reviewed and assessed by the Foundation. Despite this process, the Foundation remains committed to regional representation, linguistic representation, a plurality of perspectives and disciplines, as well as other forms of diversity.
To know more about Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships, please visit Official Website.